Historical Miniatures Gaming Society—Pacific Southwest Chapter
HMGS-PSW chapter is a non-profit organization whose main purpose is to promote historical wargaming and the study of military history. Our territory covers Southern California as well as all of Arizona and Southern Nevada. We host two conventions of our own each year: Spring Campaign in March and Fall Campaign in September. In between our conventions, we attend major Southern California conventions and sponsor informal game days at local hobby game stores.
Game Submissions Requested for Mini-WarsMini-Wars 2019 will be on September 28th and 29th, 2019. The earlier we let the public know what games, lectures and vendors wee are host the bigger the crowd we can expect. You can click here to fill out the Event Submission Form for Mini-Wars 2019 online or download a copy of the form by clicking on this link: download Event Submission Form for Mini-Wars 2019.
ElectionsIn concert with our Fall Campaign we need to have our annual election of members to the Board of Directors. One member of the Board moved away from our region and three members have reached the ends of their terms. That means we need four more Board Members to steer the HMGS-PSW throughout the next year. Please consider volunteering for at least a year and get your name to me for inclusion on the ballot. Ballots will be finalized at the end of July and mailed out soon after that.
Here is a sample of the games run at Victory in Van Nuys earlier this year. Let’s make Mini-Wars another Convention to remember.
- Name: 1942: Firestorm Stalingrad Flames of War Tournament Event
- GM Name: Lost Angeles Gaming Group – Christian Sorensen 323-246-2208 christian.sorensen99 (AT) gmail.com (Replace the (AT) with a @)
- Time(s): 3 rounds of duration 2 hours 15 minutes starting at 9:30AM, 12:15PM and 3:00PM
- Rules: _Flames of War v4 with CityFighting rules from Iron Cross/Enemy at the Gates and Firestorm: Stalingrad rules from Battlefront. Scale is 15mm
- Age Limits: _Must be able to reach the minis at the center of the tables without assistance!
- Maximum Number of Players: Maximum will be 20, more can be accomodated if we get notice by March 15th.
- What to bring: Players should bring lists, minis and dice necessary to field both an 85 point “Open Field” force and a 50 point “City Fight” force. Players will be asked to pre-register as either an Axisor Allied (Soviet) player and a Force Captain will be picked for each side.
- Description: Firestorm Stalingrad:1942 will be a fun one-day tournament based on Battlefront’s published Firestorm campaign rules. An added feature will be the use of their fast-paced CityFight missionsfrom the Iron Cross and Enemy at the Gates source books using gorgeous multi-level locally produced building models. Three rounds of play will see the strategic initiative shift back and forth as the Soviet side begins round one with “Operation Uranus”, switching to the Axis for round two with “German Counterattack” and switching back to the Soviets for round three with “All Around Defence”. Control of areas in the countryside around Stalingrad will shift depending on match results whilst in the city itself a separate City Fight Track will record milestones achieved by either the Soviet or German side. At the end of the campaign Victory Points will be totalled and one side or the other may win either a Strategic, Operational, or Tactical victory, or it may all result in a bloody Stalemate! The top performing Generals on each side will also be recognized. Axis lists, including Command Cards, can be drawn from all the available Axis sourcebooks for MidWar (Afrika Korps, Iron Cross, Ghost Panzers and Avanti), including the NoDiceNoGlory PDF files for Romanians (November Nightmare) and Hungarians ( Desperate Defence) with the proviso that only equipment available on the Eastern Front in 1942 will be allowed. Similarly, Soviet lists can be drawn from both the Enemy at the Gates and the Red Banner sourcebooks with 1943 equipment specifically disallowed. A master list of equipment restrictions will be posted on the Facebook event notice sites and emailed to registered participants.
- Name: Warlord Games Demos
- GM Name: Troy Hill/Jacob Shober
- Time: 10:00AM to 5:00 PM. Noon lunch break
- Rules: Bolt Action V 2, Cruel Seas, Warlords of Erehwon
- Age Limits: 13+
- Maximum Number of Players: 4 per table
- What to Bring: Your sense of Awe and Adventure
- Description: Whether you like World War II skirmishes, Naval Warfare, or fantasy battles with Dwarves and Undead, stop by the Warlord Games demo tables. Troy and Jacob will have a variety of games created by Warlord Games for demonstration play. Games will include Bolt Action Ver 2, Warlords of Erehwon, and Cruel Seas. Times will vary, and games will take approximately 90 minutes.